The Licking Heights Preschool Program recently earned a 5 Star Rating from the Ohio Department of Education uder the Step Up To Quality standards. A Step Up To Quality Five-Star rating means a program has demonstrated the highest level of quality. Below are some of the ways a program can
provide increased quality at the five star level.
- There are more staff members per child.
Teachers have more time to support your child’s individual development and learning. This is important because 90 percent of brain development occurs by the time your child is 6 years old.
- The administrator and teachers have higher educational qualifications.
The administrator and teachers have a bachelor’s or master’s degree and many years’ experience working with young children. These qualifications benefit your child’s development and learning.
- The administrator and teachers complete more than 20 hours of specialized training every two years.
The administrator and teaching staff are committed to expanding their education and skills to better support your child’s development and learning.
- Teachers develop lesson plans that support each child’s growth.
Teachers plan intentional and purposeful activities and experiences that meet the needs, interests and abilities of children. These activities and experiences support them and their development.
- Program staff completes assessments to evaluate and improve the learning experience.
Assessments with your child help keep track of his or her growth over time. This lets teachers adjust how they offer experiences to your child daily.
- Families and the community are valued.
Programs work with families and neighborhood
organizations to provide more opportunities for children.
- The program provides at least three of the following to staff: health
insurance, paid leave, tuition reimbursement, discount on child care, paid professional
development, retirement, flexible spending account, one hour of paid planning
time weekly, paid holidays or life insurance.