24 Licking Heights High School students represented the LHHS DECA chapter at the 2018 district competition, held at Columbus State Community College. Putting in weeks of preparation, nine students qualified to advance to the state competition in March.
- Bobby Belair, principles of business, first place
- Michael Gibson, hotel and lodging, first place
- Christian Lavanchey, principles of marketing, second place
- Randy Mbouge, principles of business, second place
- Teagan Lee, principles of hospitality, second place
- Kelsi McConnaughy, restaurant and food service, third place
- Brendan Olinski, entrepreneurship innovation plan, third place
- Matthew Thurston, hotel and lodging management, fourth place
- Hannah Swisher, quick service restaurant, fourth place
“We are so proud of all of our members who attended the competition this year, and a special congratulations to those who have qualified to the next level of the competition,” said Steve Varricchio, LHHS business teacher and DECA advisor.
Elaine Ramey, chapter president, said, ”I’m extremely proud of all of our competitors at districts this past Tuesday. Several of them exceeded my expectations and even those who didn’t place still won in my eyes because of their hard work. The skills and experiences gained from activities like these are priceless in the long run.”